Skip to main content

How God has been Working

This post is what I shared at church this past week.  

A little update on our adoption:

We went to Kansas for the birth of the baby that we were matched with last month.  The birth mother decided she would like to parent instead of going through with the adoption plan she had made.

Our hearts were broken, but we have come to terms with this change in our plans.  Of course, this is not a change in God's plans at all.

Here's what I have shared:

Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. 8Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 2:5-11)

Why is God allowing us to walk through this unknown, this failed adoption?

Lysa Terkeurst says in her book It's Not Supposed to be This Way, "When His timing seems questionable, His lack of intervention seems hurtful, and His promises seem doubtful, I get afraid.  I get confused.  And left alone with those feelings, I can't help but feel disappointed that God isn't doing what I assume a good God should do" (23).

I've been running from God these last couple of weeks.  I didn't want to spend time with a God who would rip a baby from our arms before we even get to hold her.

I went through the motions.  My grandmother-in-law asked me about going to a women's night this past week.  I didn't want to go.  My mother-in-law asked me again the next day to go.  I told her I would.  "Maybe God will speak deeply to my heart," I thought.

As I was sitting there, the speaker made several good points but I was still wishing I was at home.  She started praying at the end.  Part of her prayer was about turning the discipline of reading God's Word into devotion.

Yes.  That's me.  I want devotion again because I'm already tired of pretending and going through the motions.

That brings me back to Philippians.  I started a study months ago.  I picked it back up because I knew I needed to if I was going to fall in love with God's Word again.

That study, along with a couple books I've been reading, pointed me to my answer.

Humbled, from verse 8, means "to humble or make low.  This happens by being fully dependent on the Lord, dismissing reliance upon self.  This exalts the Lord as our all-in-all" (HELP Word-studies, https://biblehub.com/greek/5013.htm).

Verse 16 says we need to hold fast to the Word of life.  Doing that in humility allows me to keep trusting God when things don't go my way or when the days get hard or difficult.

Why are we here on earth?  Not to grow up, get married, and live happily ever after with babies.

Jackie Hill Perry says in her book, Gay Girl, Good God, "Loving me, He gave me life.  Gave me a heart that was brand new, beating for no other reason than to love Him with all of it.  And with this new heart in love with an unchanging God, it compelled me to tell" (192).

We are here to give God glory.  We are never promised a life of ease or pure happiness.  We are here to point others to Jesus even on our worst days.  Am I happy I don't have a baby in my arms right now?  No.  Do I know God is still good and has a plan for us?  Absolutely.

Then I had the privilege to sing this song.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle

So I am going to be honest. I have been struggling to be faithful in studying my bible. For awhile. I have been reading it. But in the loosest sense of that word as well. I skim the words to mark of that I read it for that day. (Google Images) In the coming year, I do not want to focus on reading so much as I want to learn how to study the bible. For real. I want to dig into God's word, grow closer to Him, and learn how to listen not just talk at Him. So as I work on being selfless in my prayer life (see my previous post), I am also going to work on studying. There is no way that I am going to continue to grow closer to God if I do not learn how to study His Word. I want to ask you to share any ways that you have that help you to study God's Word. Please leave comments below. Thanks for reading. In God, Emily

Heart to Heart

Today, at my college, there was a chapel convo for us to attend. It was not mandatory, but we do have to go to five per semester. I was not planning on going, but I had a friend invite me to go with her at the last minute. I figured, "Well, I might as well. At least I will have someone to sit with." I had no idea that God was planning on using the speaker to speak to me about a situation that I am dealing with right now. The speaker talked about how we need to give back to God the "stuff" in our lives, to dedicate what God has given to us back to Him. I have been struggling with a decision the last couple of days and I realized that I cannot control the outcome on my own. I also realized that I had not given my heart completely to God before that moment. I was expecting God to show me what to do in the situation when I had yet to surrender fully to Him. I realize now that God will lead me and guide me to the right man some day, but first I had to give

God's Beauty... From a Unique Perspective

Hello there! I recently got some pictures printed and I realized the beauty that I had witnessed. So here it is! These are some pictures from when I went to Seattle in December. The above picture was taken out the window of the plane as I was flying back to TN. The sunset was the most beautiful sunset I'd ever seen. Here's another picture of the same beautiful sunset, taken a few minutes later. This picture was taken out of my best friend's back window one morning when it was foggy outside. I love the way that the fog settled in the trees. I think it is such a showing of God's art work. "And God said, 'Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, on the earth.' And it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seen according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. And God saw that i