Skip to main content

Making the Impossible Possible

My best friend and I have been using this new bible study method recently to dig into God's Word.  It's called Project 89.  You can read more about it here.  

Basically, you read a chapter a day from the four gospels.  We are currently still in Matthew.  Today, I read Matthew 16 and wrote down several thoughts/observations.

I am thankful that my friend brought this to my attention and asked me to try it with her.  I have been purposefully carving out extra time to just spend in God's Word these last few weeks.  I love that I have carved out this extra time because I am being intentional about prayer, worship, and study together, without the distractions that come so easily.  It is nice to focus just on God's Word and not on reading what other people have learned from it (by using commentaries and the like).  

I'm not saying that these things are bad.  They can be very helpful and very insightful.  But I wanted to dig into God's Word for myself.  I want to know God on a deeper level than I have ever known Him before.  

Another thing I love about the study is that I was encouraged to use a translation of the bible that I have never read much out of before.  For me, that is the King James Version.  My church uses this translation, but I've always said that I want a translation that I don't have to struggle to understand.  Since we started this journey, I haven't run into any parts of the scripture that I couldn't just take a deeper look at to understand (I have snuck a glance or two at the commentary in the bottom of my husband's bible that I am using!  Shh, don't tell).  I love the language used in the KJV.  I still like my normal, go-to version (ESV), but I am falling more in love with this version.

After all that rambling, let's get to the point of this blog.

Two days ago I read Matthew 14.  This chapter talks about John the Baptist's death, Jesus feeding the 5,000 (plus women and children, probably close to 12,000 or more total from what I've studied), and Jesus (and Peter) walking on water.  

Wow.  What an action-packed chapter, right?

I love how Jesus starts the meal when feeding the 5,000 with just two fish and five loaves of bread.  Verse 19 says, "And He (Jesus) commanded the multitude to sit down on the grass, and took the five loaves, and the two fishes (I love this!), and looking up to heaven, He blessed, and brake, and gave the loaves to his disciples, and the disciples to the multitudes" (parentheses mine).

He started by simply praying.  And then He gave to the disciples, and they just kept giving and giving.  They didn't run out, and they had plenty leftover.

After this, Jesus withdrew to spend time with His Father while the disciples went ahead in the boat.  Just imagine Jesus saying, "You guys go ahead.  I'll catch up."  "How are you going to do that, Jesus?"  "I have My ways."

Jesus walked on the water to meet them where they were. 

And Peter had the faith to step out of the boat and onto the water.  To reach out to Jesus.

Last night, I was able to help teach the kids class at my church.  As we were talking about this story, one of the boys in the class said, "When Peter took his eyes off Jesus, he began to sink.  The same thing happens to us when we take our eyes off Jesus."  

Out of the mouths of babes, right?  This boy is nine.  And he spoke more truth over this scripture that I had even thought of.

The whole point of this rambling post is to say this.  

No matter what happens through this adoption process, I am trusting God to do the impossible.  Because our God makes the impossible possible.

$30,000 for an adoption?  That's nothing compared to the cattle on a thousand hills.  

I am trusting God in every step of the crazy journey.  I can't wait to see what He does and how He moves through this whole process.  I want to give Him all the glory for this because adoption is His plan for us, not our own.

That being said, if you would like to help us on this crazy, scary, nerve-wracking journey, please donate.  You can do that here: paypal.me/GrowingOurVillage

Every little bit helps.  If you choose to donate, just know that we are deeply grateful and thankful that you have helped us bring a child into our home and fulfill God's calling in our lives.

All of this being said, just remember:  Our God specializes in the making the impossible possible. #GrowingOurVillage

Thanks for reading.

In God, 
Emily

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle

So I am going to be honest. I have been struggling to be faithful in studying my bible. For awhile. I have been reading it. But in the loosest sense of that word as well. I skim the words to mark of that I read it for that day. (Google Images) In the coming year, I do not want to focus on reading so much as I want to learn how to study the bible. For real. I want to dig into God's word, grow closer to Him, and learn how to listen not just talk at Him. So as I work on being selfless in my prayer life (see my previous post), I am also going to work on studying. There is no way that I am going to continue to grow closer to God if I do not learn how to study His Word. I want to ask you to share any ways that you have that help you to study God's Word. Please leave comments below. Thanks for reading. In God, Emily

Heart to Heart

Today, at my college, there was a chapel convo for us to attend. It was not mandatory, but we do have to go to five per semester. I was not planning on going, but I had a friend invite me to go with her at the last minute. I figured, "Well, I might as well. At least I will have someone to sit with." I had no idea that God was planning on using the speaker to speak to me about a situation that I am dealing with right now. The speaker talked about how we need to give back to God the "stuff" in our lives, to dedicate what God has given to us back to Him. I have been struggling with a decision the last couple of days and I realized that I cannot control the outcome on my own. I also realized that I had not given my heart completely to God before that moment. I was expecting God to show me what to do in the situation when I had yet to surrender fully to Him. I realize now that God will lead me and guide me to the right man some day, but first I had to give

God's Beauty... From a Unique Perspective

Hello there! I recently got some pictures printed and I realized the beauty that I had witnessed. So here it is! These are some pictures from when I went to Seattle in December. The above picture was taken out the window of the plane as I was flying back to TN. The sunset was the most beautiful sunset I'd ever seen. Here's another picture of the same beautiful sunset, taken a few minutes later. This picture was taken out of my best friend's back window one morning when it was foggy outside. I love the way that the fog settled in the trees. I think it is such a showing of God's art work. "And God said, 'Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, on the earth.' And it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seen according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. And God saw that i