Skip to main content

Providence

For a little background on how God sparked this idea in me, I am doing a bible study right now through the book of Esther.  It is called Esther: Reflections from an Unexpected Life by Jennifer Spivey.  

I love how God brings things into your life (or back up in your life) at the perfect moment when you need it.  This book has been sitting on my shelf for probably 3-4 years, if not longer.  I had never read it before I started it seven weeks ago. But it is fitting into my life exactly where it needs to.  I guess you could call it....PROVIDENCE.

You see, that is the whole idea that the author puts forth in the book, about how God works through His providence in our lives.  And I just love it.

I put this "devotion" together for a ladies card making class that we had at my church this past weekend.

I will preface it by saying that many of these ideas are straight out of the book, but some of them are my own.  So, while things in quotations might not be exact quotes from the book, I am setting them apart in that way so that you can know what it the author's ideas and what are my own.

"For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish.  And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?" - Esther 4:14 ESV

"Dr. Augustus Hopkins defines providence as 'that continuous agency of God by which He makes all the events of the physical and moral universe fulfill the original design with which they were created.'"

This shows me that God is in complete control of His creation.  He is continuously working to see His purposes come to pass.  God created each person with a specific task in mind.

"God is always working in the life of a faithful believer, which means that God means for us to live extraordinary lives."

When we follow God and His calling in our lives, He can lead us to do things that we could never dream that we could do.  Because we can't.  Not on our own.  Not without the power that we find in God alone.

"Of Esther Matthew Henry said, 'though the name of God be not in it, the finger of God is directing many minute events for the bringing about of His people's deliverance."

I have heard that Esther is the only book in the bible that does not expressly mention God by name.  Even though His name is not in the book, we can see evidence of Him and His providence all throughout the book.

"As with what Esther was facing and with what is going on in our own lives, though there may be uncertainty, there is never uncertainty with the King of kings."

We can find our rest, our hope, our certainty in Christ Jesus alone.  There is nothing else that can move us and move in us the way He does.

"Your walk with the Lord does not impact only you, but the people around you as well.  As the Lord planted a seed in you, you can plant seeds in the people around you."

God does not intend for us to be people that keep to ourselves and ignore the rest of the world that passes by us each day.  He intends for us to be lights in that world, in the lives of those people that we interact with every day.

I want to leave you today with a prayer that I have put together from two different prayers in the book: "Father, help us to understand today the importance of obeying You quickly, right where You have us.  Help us to feel the urgency in our spirits.  Give us Your view and let us experience Your passion.  Les us follow You without fear, and let us be more than a blessing to the people You place in our paths:  let us be Your instruments of rescue.  Lord, help us to be bold in our witness - bold in the rescue of the people that You place in our path.  Open our eyes to the people around us.  Help us to see beyond ourselves."

I will leave you with that, but I do want you to remember one thing:  God is guiding your live according to His perfect plan.  Sometimes what we choose can mess up what God is working, but His plan will always come to fruition.  We just need to be faithful to follow Him.

Perhaps He has brought us to this place in our lives "for such a time as this".

Thanks for reading.

In God,
Emily


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle

So I am going to be honest. I have been struggling to be faithful in studying my bible. For awhile. I have been reading it. But in the loosest sense of that word as well. I skim the words to mark of that I read it for that day. (Google Images) In the coming year, I do not want to focus on reading so much as I want to learn how to study the bible. For real. I want to dig into God's word, grow closer to Him, and learn how to listen not just talk at Him. So as I work on being selfless in my prayer life (see my previous post), I am also going to work on studying. There is no way that I am going to continue to grow closer to God if I do not learn how to study His Word. I want to ask you to share any ways that you have that help you to study God's Word. Please leave comments below. Thanks for reading. In God, Emily

Heart to Heart

Today, at my college, there was a chapel convo for us to attend. It was not mandatory, but we do have to go to five per semester. I was not planning on going, but I had a friend invite me to go with her at the last minute. I figured, "Well, I might as well. At least I will have someone to sit with." I had no idea that God was planning on using the speaker to speak to me about a situation that I am dealing with right now. The speaker talked about how we need to give back to God the "stuff" in our lives, to dedicate what God has given to us back to Him. I have been struggling with a decision the last couple of days and I realized that I cannot control the outcome on my own. I also realized that I had not given my heart completely to God before that moment. I was expecting God to show me what to do in the situation when I had yet to surrender fully to Him. I realize now that God will lead me and guide me to the right man some day, but first I had to give

God's Beauty... From a Unique Perspective

Hello there! I recently got some pictures printed and I realized the beauty that I had witnessed. So here it is! These are some pictures from when I went to Seattle in December. The above picture was taken out the window of the plane as I was flying back to TN. The sunset was the most beautiful sunset I'd ever seen. Here's another picture of the same beautiful sunset, taken a few minutes later. This picture was taken out of my best friend's back window one morning when it was foggy outside. I love the way that the fog settled in the trees. I think it is such a showing of God's art work. "And God said, 'Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, on the earth.' And it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seen according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. And God saw that i