Skip to main content

Daniel's Convictions

As per yesterday's post, I went to Lifeway today (a Christian bookstore) and purchased a bible study. Actually I purchased two. But I started one today. I bought the John MacArthur bible study on Daniel and the Beth Moore bible study book for her Daniel study as well. A friend from church has the dvd series that I am going to borrow for that one. For awhile now I have felt that God wants me to dig deeper into the book of Daniel. So I'm going for it.



I started the MacArthur study today when I got home. I think I am going to love it. I read the introduction today and did the first section of study over Daniel 1:1-21.

If you don't recall, this section of scripture talks about how Daniel and his friends asked to be fed vegetables instead of the rich foods of Nebuchadnezzar. God showed his faithfulness in that He made Daniel and his friends look healthier after the 10 days of eating vegetables than the other men that were eating the king's delicacies.

Because Daniel was faithful not to defile his body with the food that had been devoted to idols, God gave him a way to keep himself pure.

God is already starting to show me different things. One of the things that MacArthur mentions in the questions that the reader goes through is the difference between conviction and belief. As I had never really thought about the difference before, I took some time to think about it.

One of the questions had a quote that came with it. Here it is: "A conviction is, in the words of one unknown writer, 'nothing more than a belief with its boots on ... ready to march, ready to fight, ready to die.'"

My thoughts on the subject are this: A conviction is something you are willing to stand for whereas a belief does not take as much commitment.

All of this thinking has led me to these conclusions. I need to know what my convictions are and not just believe based on what others tell me. By doing this, I can grow closer to God and be more adept at sharing His word. Like Daniel, I can come to know God on a deeper level. I can learn to stand against false beliefs and protect myself from allowing anything to defile me.

These are just some of my thoughts about my first day of study. I cannot wait to see what else God is going to show me! I hope to share much more often than I have in the past months.

As always, thanks for reading.

In God, Emily

Comments

  1. Wow Emily, you are very wise from your study already. Learning to listen to what God is saying to you is a huge 1st step. Just wait til you have finished and think of what God will have shown you. I am so very proud of you. Continue on lady...
    Always Experiencing Him,
    Jody

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle

So I am going to be honest. I have been struggling to be faithful in studying my bible. For awhile. I have been reading it. But in the loosest sense of that word as well. I skim the words to mark of that I read it for that day. (Google Images) In the coming year, I do not want to focus on reading so much as I want to learn how to study the bible. For real. I want to dig into God's word, grow closer to Him, and learn how to listen not just talk at Him. So as I work on being selfless in my prayer life (see my previous post), I am also going to work on studying. There is no way that I am going to continue to grow closer to God if I do not learn how to study His Word. I want to ask you to share any ways that you have that help you to study God's Word. Please leave comments below. Thanks for reading. In God, Emily

Heart to Heart

Today, at my college, there was a chapel convo for us to attend. It was not mandatory, but we do have to go to five per semester. I was not planning on going, but I had a friend invite me to go with her at the last minute. I figured, "Well, I might as well. At least I will have someone to sit with." I had no idea that God was planning on using the speaker to speak to me about a situation that I am dealing with right now. The speaker talked about how we need to give back to God the "stuff" in our lives, to dedicate what God has given to us back to Him. I have been struggling with a decision the last couple of days and I realized that I cannot control the outcome on my own. I also realized that I had not given my heart completely to God before that moment. I was expecting God to show me what to do in the situation when I had yet to surrender fully to Him. I realize now that God will lead me and guide me to the right man some day, but first I had to give

God's Beauty... From a Unique Perspective

Hello there! I recently got some pictures printed and I realized the beauty that I had witnessed. So here it is! These are some pictures from when I went to Seattle in December. The above picture was taken out the window of the plane as I was flying back to TN. The sunset was the most beautiful sunset I'd ever seen. Here's another picture of the same beautiful sunset, taken a few minutes later. This picture was taken out of my best friend's back window one morning when it was foggy outside. I love the way that the fog settled in the trees. I think it is such a showing of God's art work. "And God said, 'Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, on the earth.' And it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seen according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. And God saw that i