Skip to main content

Waiting- Acts 1:1-14

We wait for so many things in this life. We wait for birthdays, Christmas, driver's licenses, high school graduation, college graduation, marriage, kids, retirement. As Christians, there is another very important event that we hope and wait for: The return of Christ Jesus our Lord. 


One part of Scripture that tells us about His return is Acts 1 (we will focus on verses 1-14). Verse 11 specifically tells us that Jesus will return in the same way He left. 


Acts 1:10-11 - "And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes, and said, 'Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.'"


While we wait, God has given us the Holy Spirit to guide us. When we become Christians, the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in us, to lead us and guide us through life here on earth. To be baptized with the Holy Spirit (verse 5) means that we become fully emersed, completely covered and full of Him (the Holy Spirit). If we allow Him and do not stifle Him, the Holy Spirit will work in every part of our lives.


Acts 1:5 - "for John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now."


Verse 7 tells us that no one will know the time or season of Jesus' returning. God does not want us to worry about when Jesus is returning. We just need to live for Him for the time He gives us and spread His love, grace, and forgiveness to others.


Acts 1:7 - "He said to them, 'It is not for you to know times or seasons that the Father has fixed by his own authority.'"


The Holy Spirit brings power into our lives that we would not otherwise have (verse 8). God has given us this power that He may work through us and use us to reach people "in Jerusalem, in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of all the earth." (verse 8). The Holy Spirit speaks to us and through us. He will give us the strength we need to stand up and speak, to stand up for what we know is true in Christ Jesus. 


Acts 1:8 - "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth."


Personally, I need the power of the Holy Spirit to tell people about how awesome Jesus is. I need His strength when I am trying to be a witness to my family, when I'm struggling to have patience or to understand.


When Jesus ascended into heaven, He did not leave us alone, to work through this life by ourselves. He gave us a Helper, a guide. (John 14:16-17, 26). He knew that we would need help.


John 14:16-17,26 - "And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be i you... But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you."


So when we ask Jesus into our hearts, He blesses us with the Holy Spirit to help us and lead us, but also to deepen the relationship that we have with God.


In God, Emily

Comments

  1. True. So very true. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise the LORD for HIS HOLY SPIRIT that guides us into all truth (John16:13).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so blessed by your commitment to seek the LORD!!! I prayed again for you this morning. Colossians 1:9-13 In Ephesians 4:29:32 is where Paul talks about grieving the Holy Sprit and gives clear instruction to keep us from doing that. Again, it speaks of our relationship with Christ. We love Him so much, we don't want to upset or hurt Him.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle

So I am going to be honest. I have been struggling to be faithful in studying my bible. For awhile. I have been reading it. But in the loosest sense of that word as well. I skim the words to mark of that I read it for that day. (Google Images) In the coming year, I do not want to focus on reading so much as I want to learn how to study the bible. For real. I want to dig into God's word, grow closer to Him, and learn how to listen not just talk at Him. So as I work on being selfless in my prayer life (see my previous post), I am also going to work on studying. There is no way that I am going to continue to grow closer to God if I do not learn how to study His Word. I want to ask you to share any ways that you have that help you to study God's Word. Please leave comments below. Thanks for reading. In God, Emily

Heart to Heart

Today, at my college, there was a chapel convo for us to attend. It was not mandatory, but we do have to go to five per semester. I was not planning on going, but I had a friend invite me to go with her at the last minute. I figured, "Well, I might as well. At least I will have someone to sit with." I had no idea that God was planning on using the speaker to speak to me about a situation that I am dealing with right now. The speaker talked about how we need to give back to God the "stuff" in our lives, to dedicate what God has given to us back to Him. I have been struggling with a decision the last couple of days and I realized that I cannot control the outcome on my own. I also realized that I had not given my heart completely to God before that moment. I was expecting God to show me what to do in the situation when I had yet to surrender fully to Him. I realize now that God will lead me and guide me to the right man some day, but first I had to give

God's Beauty... From a Unique Perspective

Hello there! I recently got some pictures printed and I realized the beauty that I had witnessed. So here it is! These are some pictures from when I went to Seattle in December. The above picture was taken out the window of the plane as I was flying back to TN. The sunset was the most beautiful sunset I'd ever seen. Here's another picture of the same beautiful sunset, taken a few minutes later. This picture was taken out of my best friend's back window one morning when it was foggy outside. I love the way that the fog settled in the trees. I think it is such a showing of God's art work. "And God said, 'Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, on the earth.' And it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seen according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. And God saw that i