Skip to main content

Verses to Think About- James 4:1-12

In prayer, we want a lot of things. James 4 tells us that there are two reasons why we don't always get what we want.

1. We do not ask God, therefore we do not receive those things that we want. (verse 2)

2. We ask for the wrong reasons. We ask God for things that we want, but we do not want these things for the right reasons. We want things for our own pleasure, not to bring honor and glory to God. (verse 3)

This shows that God keeps His promises that He will hear and answer our prayers. There are many places in Scripture where God tells us that He hears and answers our prayers.

1 John 5:14 - "And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us."

Matthew 7:7,11 - "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and it will be opened to you... If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask."

Matthew 21:22 - "And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith."

Mark 11:24 - "Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be given to you."

John 14:13 - "Whatever you ask in my name, I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son."

John 16:23 - "In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you."

In James 4:4, the bible says, "You adulterous people! Do you not know that friendship with the world in enmity with God? Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God."

James is telling us here that you cannot be of the world and be of God. The two things are opposites. Only one can be done at a time. Some might say that this is contradictory to John 3:16, but it is not. God loves everyone, all the world, despite their sin, but He cannot condone sin or let it into heaven. Trying to be of the world and of God at the same time is like trying to have your cake and eat it too. James is showing us that this cannot be done.

Verse 7 tells us that we need to submit to God and resist the devil. So this week I need to focus more on God's will and plan than the desires of my heart and the plans I have for myself. I need to study God's word more in depth and be learning how to hear better from God.

Just some thoughts.

In God, Emily

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle

So I am going to be honest. I have been struggling to be faithful in studying my bible. For awhile. I have been reading it. But in the loosest sense of that word as well. I skim the words to mark of that I read it for that day. (Google Images) In the coming year, I do not want to focus on reading so much as I want to learn how to study the bible. For real. I want to dig into God's word, grow closer to Him, and learn how to listen not just talk at Him. So as I work on being selfless in my prayer life (see my previous post), I am also going to work on studying. There is no way that I am going to continue to grow closer to God if I do not learn how to study His Word. I want to ask you to share any ways that you have that help you to study God's Word. Please leave comments below. Thanks for reading. In God, Emily

Heart to Heart

Today, at my college, there was a chapel convo for us to attend. It was not mandatory, but we do have to go to five per semester. I was not planning on going, but I had a friend invite me to go with her at the last minute. I figured, "Well, I might as well. At least I will have someone to sit with." I had no idea that God was planning on using the speaker to speak to me about a situation that I am dealing with right now. The speaker talked about how we need to give back to God the "stuff" in our lives, to dedicate what God has given to us back to Him. I have been struggling with a decision the last couple of days and I realized that I cannot control the outcome on my own. I also realized that I had not given my heart completely to God before that moment. I was expecting God to show me what to do in the situation when I had yet to surrender fully to Him. I realize now that God will lead me and guide me to the right man some day, but first I had to give

God's Beauty... From a Unique Perspective

Hello there! I recently got some pictures printed and I realized the beauty that I had witnessed. So here it is! These are some pictures from when I went to Seattle in December. The above picture was taken out the window of the plane as I was flying back to TN. The sunset was the most beautiful sunset I'd ever seen. Here's another picture of the same beautiful sunset, taken a few minutes later. This picture was taken out of my best friend's back window one morning when it was foggy outside. I love the way that the fog settled in the trees. I think it is such a showing of God's art work. "And God said, 'Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind, on the earth.' And it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seen according to their own kinds, and trees bearing fruit in which is their seed, each according to its kind. And God saw that i