Skip to main content

Heartache





As I write this post, I am mourning with some of my closest friends over the lost of a dear loved one. I cannot being to fathom what they are going through as they deal with this loss.

As they have been dealing with the sickness that cancer brings, our nation has been reeling from the tragedy that happened last week.

I look around and I see the need for prayer everywhere I turn. I think about all of the facebook and twitter posts I saw last week about how people are praying for people in Connecticut. I think it is wonderful that people are praying for those that are hurting. But it makes me sad that tragedy is what has to happen for people to pray for each other.

As I continue to pray for those affected by the shooting and for my dear friends, I just want to challenge you. Don't let tragedy be the only thing brings you to God in prayer for others. Pray for others on a daily basis. Don't let your selfishness hold you back from lifting others up.

And don't think that I am offering this challenge just to you. I am just as guilty about this as anyone. I am challenging myself even more than I am challenging you.


"Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, 2 to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people. 3 For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. 4 But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, 5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, 6 whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, 7 so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life."

Titus 3:1-7 (from http://www.esvbible.org/Titus+3/)

God brought this scripture to me as I was reading my bible this  morning. I hope it speaks to you as well.

Thanks for reading.

In God, Emily

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Struggle

So I am going to be honest. I have been struggling to be faithful in studying my bible. For awhile. I have been reading it. But in the loosest sense of that word as well. I skim the words to mark of that I read it for that day. (Google Images) In the coming year, I do not want to focus on reading so much as I want to learn how to study the bible. For real. I want to dig into God's word, grow closer to Him, and learn how to listen not just talk at Him. So as I work on being selfless in my prayer life (see my previous post), I am also going to work on studying. There is no way that I am going to continue to grow closer to God if I do not learn how to study His Word. I want to ask you to share any ways that you have that help you to study God's Word. Please leave comments below. Thanks for reading. In God, Emily

Waiting- Acts 1:1-14

We wait for so many things in this life. We wait for birthdays, Christmas, driver's licenses, high school graduation, college graduation, marriage, kids, retirement. As Christians, there is another very important event that we hope and wait for: The return of Christ Jesus our Lord.  One part of Scripture that tells us about His return is Acts 1 (we will focus on verses 1-14). Verse 11 specifically tells us that Jesus will return in the same way He left.  Acts 1:10-11 - "And while they were gazing into heaven as he went, behold, two men stood by them in white robes, and said, 'Men of Galilee, why do you stand looking into heaven? This Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will come in the same way as you saw him go into heaven.'" While we wait, God has given us the Holy Spirit to guide us. When we become Christians, the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in us, to lead us and guide us through life here on earth. To be baptized with the Holy Spirit (verse 5...

Fear and Respect for Guns and God

Yesterday was a big day for me. I got my first gun. While it was very exciting to be part of picking it out, when I went out to shoot it when we got home, I was just a bit terrified. I realized that I have a (healthy) fear and respect of and for guns. They are not the toys that children are allowed to play with. As I was thinking about the fear and respect I have for guns, I started wondering something, Should we have an even greater fear (awe) and respect for Creator God? I know this is something that I could do so much better in, living with a greater awe of God. So I started praying that God would help me to grow my fear (awe) and respect for Him. Because it should be much greater than that of the gun. Just a thought. Thanks for reading. In God, Emily